More often known as the church clock, it is in fact the parish clock - which which happens to be on the church tower. The clock was made by one Richard Roberts and he gave it to the parish of Llanymynech. The frame of the clock, which supports all the workings, has two inscriptions : Presented to the parish of Llanymynech by the maker - Rd Roberts. ALSO 1844 - Roberts and Co 1844 Manchester.’
There is a plaque on the outside wall of the tower which also states the origin of the clock and also that Richard Roberts was born at Carreghofa on 22 April 1789 and died in London on 11 March 1864. Richard Roberts came from very humble beginnings in the village but rose to make significant developments in the engineering and cotton industries. Whilst prolific in his work, he died in poverty. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Roberts_(engineer)
The clock has a very large face and it is said that Roberts made it large so that the quarrymen could check the time they started and finished work. Less well known is that the clock was a great help to the wagoners using the [A483] toll road. They would wait until the clock struck the hour before passing through. By returning within the hour, they avoided paying twice.
Gaining access [and exit] to wind the clock is something of a challenge.
To get to the clock chamber, a very steep stair, more like a ladder, has to be conquered.
In recent times an electrically operated automatic winding system has been installed.
COMING DOWN The door on the right is a trap door in the floor