Maps

History of the Kiln

Design of the Kiln

Surrounding Area

Flora and Fauna

Virtual Tour

Maps

Links

Between 1753 – 1914 the southern end of the hills which fed the Hoffman site were owned by two estates, the Chirk Castle Estate & the Bridgeman ( later Bradford) Estate.  They leased out land to many people. In 1863 Thomas Savin secured leases from both estates. The Llanfyllin branch of the Cambrian Railway opened with a line into the site, ending a 78 year canal monopoly. Maps from 1851 show two individual tramways passing under the present A483 through two different arched bridges. The tramways then part and make their way to two separate docks on the canal. The maps below are from1901/2. 

[HOFFMAN 2005 website] [History of the kiln] [Design of the kiln] [Surrounding Area] [Flora and fauna] [VirtualTour] [Maps] [Links]

BACK TO
LIMEWORKS PORTAL